Photo compressor squooshApp is a highly recommended tool that is used to compress photos or images to improve your website performance, it is important for all website owners and other photo or image users because when website photos or images are not compressed or optimized, readers or customers will have to look elsewhere due to the slow page loading of the website. When your website loads quickly, people are happy to visit your page or check out items to add to their shopping cart.
Free photo compressor
If you haven't started making money online yet, but you really want to compress your website photos or images, but are a beginner facing tons of expensive monthly subscription websites and are limited by the number of photos to compress, you may be wondering or even get frustrated on how to compress your website photos. . Sometimes even the limit they gave you for the paid plan of how many phots to compress in a day or a month may not even meet your needs
If you fall into this category, don't worry. In this article, the Google free photo compressor squooshapp tool known as Squoosh.App can be a great option as we will be reviewing what Squoosh is. How to use it and how to help photo users and website owners compress their photos or images to give their users the best possible experience.
What is Squoosh.App?
Photo compressor squooshapp by Google is an open-source photo compressor application, a highly recommended tool created by GoogleChromeLabs. Squoosh is browser-based and specifically designed to compress large photos for faster loading in any web browser. The app is free for anyone to use and works online and offline in all major browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
Why use squooshApp
Squooshapp photo compressor is powered by GitHub as part of a large research project focused on website optimization. Since large, high-resolution images can slow down site loading and can be part of a sub-core of various Core Web Vitals, Google is focused on helping website owners compress photos for better site performance and optimal search speed completely free of charge which is a great value, Photo compressor squooshapp is a highly recommended tool, especially for a beginner who doesn’t have money to spend for premium photo compressor tools
The Squoosh screen is split so users can see the results before and after image compression. This tool allows you to quickly see subtle differences (if noticeable) between the original image and the compressed image. However, images compressed and optimized for speed provide faster loading and a better user experience. They can also help you increase your SEO ranking. Squooshapp photo compressor is fast and easy, and users can upload compressed images right after editing.
How to Use Squoosh.App
If you want to compress or optimize your website photos, you can first open a new browser window and go to squoosh.app, then upload or drag and drop your own photo into the editor. Unfortunately, so far, we can't batch process, but there are new discoveries that may help to do multiple compressions. I'll share it as we proceed, but let's basically continue with optimizing a single photo. ,
So, select one photo at a time.
In the lower corner of this screenshot, you may have noticed that Squoosh measures the size of the compressed photo file in real-time based on the settings you choose. Not only that, but it also tells you the % size difference between the photo options.
Keeping an eye on these statistics while adjusting your compression settings will help you keep the file size of your photo as small as possible without having too many negative effects on the image itself. You can zoom in at any time to see the differences in detail. if you noticed that zoomed this very image down to 26%, see the arrows for more guides as you adjust your settings
Sample of photo compressed
The “before” photo is to the left of the slider and the “after” photo is to the right.
Zoom in and out using the zoom tool at the bottom center of the screen. You can also select one of the photos provided at the bottom of the screen to run the text and see how the editor works.
After uploading the photo, you can customize it using the browser interface. The comparison slider shows the difference between the original photo and the compressed photo, so you can maintain the level of photo quality your project requires.
Photo compressor squooshApp options
The compression field at the bottom left of the screen shows the original photo by default. You can use the drop-down menu to view different photo options like the following.
- Browser JPEG
- Browser PNG
- JPEG XL (beta)
- WebP v2 (unstable)
How to edit photos in Squooshapp
The Edit menu is displayed in the lower right corner of the screen. If you decide to resize the photos or reduce the color palette of the image, you can select these options to view the advanced menu, See image blow.
Photo resizing with squooshapp
When it comes to photo resizing with Squoosh, there are a few variables to switch to. For instance, you can
- Select specific methods and presets for resizing.
- Manually reset image height and width
- Choose whether to support linear RGB and aspect ratio.
- Choose whether to remultiply the alpha channel.
How to reduce the color of your photo
You can also choose whether to reduce the color palette of your images to improve website performance. To reduce the number of colors and anti-aliasing, use the slider under the heading “Shrink Palette”.
Ready to compress photo
I recommend learning the advanced Squoosh settings to get the best balance between photo quality and file size. First, you need to choose the compression type that best suits your photo and these three options are the most useful.
- OptiPNG is a PNG converter for TIFF, BMP, PNG, GIF, and PNM (another format of the bitmap) source images. This option compresses and optimizes the image without compromising information.
- PNG converter for MozJPEG, JPG, BMP, and PPM source images. This method compresses JPEG files while maintaining compatibility and quality.
- WebP is a compression method developed by Google that uses both lossless and lossy compression. WebP images are highly optimized for SEO.
Why choose the photo format
Each type of compression and image format has its own strengths and weaknesses, which are different for each image. The type of photo you have will determine which format is best for that photo on the web. Graphics, line art, and illustrations are usually best compressed using the PNG or GIF format and respond well to color reduction because unlike some photos, they don't require thousands of colors to display a photo in an acceptable way. High-resolution photographic photos are best compressed using the Moz JPEG compression format and compressed using the compression slider available in the dashboard of squooshapp.
Compare original and compressed photo
Even at 75% photo quality, like the Reference photos above , the compressed photos after compression looks almost identical to the original like the before and after photos above. For advanced users, expand Advanced Settings to adjust channels, quantization, and many more.
Download photos from Squoosh App photo compressor
When you’re finished, click the Download button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to save your edited file as shown in the photo.
Squoosh and Similar Tools
There are several photo compression tools available for different platforms and purposes. When choosing a photo compression tool, you need to make sure it is suitable for your purpose. I've used squooshapp for all my editing work as well as some tools with similar features to squooshapp are dedicated to personal use, paid or downloadable applications built for specific devices, and I recommend using them on your site for the compression of your images but in all squoosh remain the best photo compressor
Quality photo check after compression
Keep in mind that you should choose a tool that does not sacrifice the quality of the photo. When analyzing your options, you will want to check the photo quality after compressing the tool. One of Squoosh's most recommended competitors is Caesium, a free and open-source photo compression application but not as good as squooshApp. Cesium is available in both browsers and downloads, allowing users to decide how best to use them.
Pros and cons of squooshApp
Squoosh isn't the only free photo compressor available, but in my experience, it's one of the best. Here's what I like about squooshApp:
- User interface. Comparing the different compression types using the preview slider will help you find the optimal point between small file size and sufficient image quality.
- He respects your privacy. The only data sent back to the server is the basic visit data before and after compression and the image file size. We know this because it's right there in the Squoosh README on GitHub. If you're talking about a closed-source application, it's probably harder to tell what happens to your images and data after use.
- See the effect of your settings in real-time. It is very convenient to read the original size and compression ratio in the editor compared to the edited size.
- Squoosh is completely free and compresses your image size way below some of the premium app.?
- Can only compress one image at a time
- No bulk image compression except if you can programmatically do it manually, you can read the report here
- Not good for websites that upload hundreds of images a day because of time
More useful features of squooshApp to work with
- Palette – Can I use the photo with fewer colors? This is often easier than graphics or illustrations that don't require thousands of colors to display well. Reducing the color palette on a photographic photo makes little difference, so save this for illustrations that obviously use a very little color.
- Resize – Reduces physical size to significantly reduce photos and files at once. The image size is noticeably reduced, but at the same time, the digital storage space taken up in KB or MB is also reduced. Try resizing the image to the size you want to use on the web. If your site's photo space is only 1800 pixels wide, you don't need a photo that is 3000 pixels wide. Cut to fit. (Note: some websites are set to upload a high-resolution photo and do all resizing automatically, so if you're not sure how your site works, ask the web developer before you start and find out. Change!
- Quality is the easiest way to segment your data. How far can you fall? Pay close attention to fine details such as the eye area, teeth, and fingers. This is because these areas tend to be the first to show clear signs of degradation whenever over-compressed. We've found that most photographic images work great at 80% compression, but some images can be much lower. Play around and find one that works.
Alternative WordPress plugins
You can also find WordPress plugins that you can use for your photo compression needs. Some of them include ShortPixel, Ewww, and Smush. For WordPress users who want an all-in-one solution without leaving their dashboard, a plugin like this can be a good option. However, Squoosh has the advantage of compressing the photo while maintaining pristine quality, making it much smaller in size without losing sharpness. It's up to you to decide which tool is best for your needs.
Lossy and lossless format
At this point, we should explore two different approaches to file compression. There is a lossy and there is no lossless. Depending on the file format, there are slightly different ways to reduce the size of an image.
Lossy compression works with most web photo formats. Reduces file size and compresses photos by removing additional information that is not detectable by the human eye from the file. This may be information related to the number of colors displayed in the image, or it may apply to similar shaded areas of the photos. When a lossy compressed image is over-compressed, you can tell that this information is lost, as the details in the image start to scatter and appear slightly sloppy or sagging. The JPEG and GIF photo file formats are examples of lossy photo formats.
On the other hand, lossless image compression is another smart way to reduce file size by paying more attention to how the information needed to display the video is structured to take up less space. The lossless compression format keeps all the original image information in the file, but it's stored in a more efficient way and doesn't take up much space.
Optimizing photos will make your site faster while speeding up your SEO rankings. Squoosh.app helps you successfully compress and optimize photos while maintaining high quality. This is a huge plus, especially as site owners understand the importance of beautiful sites that load quickly. But the biggest downside is that you can't batch process photos. If that's not an issue, Squoosh is a pretty good choice.
Thank you for reading. Please let’s have your comment in the comment section and tell us your best photo compressor. SHALOM